There’s something about a big bowl of egg fried rice – it’s like a bowl of pure comfort. Something so simple, but so tasty. I’d happily order it from the Chinese and nothing else!
It might sound strange (especially considering how faithful I am to the weekly Sunday roast), but I LOVE this as a quick Sunday treat and it’s great to clear out the veg drawer before the weekly shop. I’ve popped below the recipe I use, but in all honesty it really depends what we have left that needs using up – pretty much any veg is great it in and I love chucking in some prawns if we have some (they’re a freezer staple for us). Take the ingredients with a pinch of salt and feel free to substitute where needed!
The secret to the best egg fried rice is pre-cooking the rice first and leaving it to cool & dry (none of this pre-cooked microwave rice nonsense). Using cold rice will allow it crisp up more when stir fried! That being said – you need to be careful reheating rice and I love having this as leftovers the next day so if that’s the plan I’ll cook the rice and use it straight away instead of letting it cool, that way I can reheat it. And don’t forget to always make sure the rice is steaming hot!
Serves 3 ( generous portions!)
1/2 shallot / onion diced
Greens of your preference sliced (I love a big handful of spring greens / kale and some sliced broccoli )
3 eggs whisked + 3 extra if you want a fried egg on top (I’ll judge anyone who doesn’t!)
1/2 cup of peas
250g basmati rice (cooked and left to cool – unless planning to reheat leftovers don’t leave to cool, read above!)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp five spice
1/2 tsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste (you can use fresh garlic and ginger but this is always a quick meal for us!)
Protein of your choice – I love adding in a diced chicken breast & handful of prawns!
Cucumber, spring onion, chilli, coriander, sliced ginger, sesame seeds and generous serving of sriracha!
- Heat 1tbsp of vegetable oil a LARGE wok and add the garlic, ginger and shallot and cook through for one minute before adding the protein – keep stirring to stop burning
- Once the meat / fish has cooked through, remove from the wok and set aside and add the veg
- Whilst the veg is cooking through, mix the sesame oil, fish sauce, five spice, oyster sauce and soy sauce in a separate bowl until combined
- Once the veg is almost cooked, add back in the protein and stir through the rice. Give this a few minutes without stirring too much to allow the bottom layer of rice to crisp slightly!
- Heat the remaining tbsp of oil in a frying pan and crack in the eggs
- Whilst the eggs are cooking take you bowl of sauce and mix into the rice before adding in the whisked egg – keep stirring the eggs to make sure its fully mixed in and cooks through
- Serve the fried rice with the the fried egg on top with a generous handful of garnishes and enjoy!!
On the table in less than 15 minutes and absolutely DELISH!!!
Don’t forget to tag me! @foodmakeskatiehappy