A salad. For dinner?!?! This is something that really doesn’t happen very often. Because, who really wants a salad for dinner? Someone who has spent 16+ weeks in lockdown with nothing to do other than bake & eat.
And has far salads go this is pretty good. Maybe that’s because it actually grilled chicken breast with roasted sweet potato and and sweet peaches served on a bed of lettuce…. but that counts as a salad, right?
2 chicken breasts
2 peaches – peeled, cored and sliced
Lettuce leaves of your choice
1/2 shallot, finely diced
1/2 red pepper, finely diced
Handful of rosemary, thyme – your choice of fresh herbs
Good quality olive oil
1 Large tomatoes quartered
1 Large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/4 cucumber, diced
Squeeze of honey
Handful of nuts / seeds – I use pine nuts, walnuts & sunflower seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and in a tray add the sweet potato, a generous dash of olive oil, sprinkling of fresh herbs and season. Bake for 35 minutes – turning occasionally
- Whilst the sweet potato is roasting pop the chicken in a bowl, with olive oil, herbs, season and set aside. Before this stage, you might want to use a meat tenderiser to flatten the chicken breast to enable them to cook evenly.
- Heat up a griddle pan and coat the peach slices in herbs, olive oil, s&p and a squeeze of honey. Place on the griddle pan for a couple of minutes before turning. Once cooked remove from the pan and add the chicken
- Lets start with the salad – start layering up with with the salad leaves, cucumber, pepper, shallots and tomatoes before adding the peaches.
- In a dry pan add the nuts / seeds and toast for a few minutes and watch to stop them burning
- Remove the sweet potato from the oven, leave to cool slightly and add to the salad before slicing the chicken and placing on top.
- Finish with a sprinkling of toasted nuts, season and a drizzle of olive oil! Enjoy!