When the warm nights hit, I’m always on a desperate hunt for dinner options that are satisfying, yet light and refreshing – I don’t go much on a salad for dinner…
This lemon & pea recipe, with a touch on mint is perfect for a summers evening with a glass of white wine! And I always manage to cook risotto for the 5000 so you can guarantee leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
300g risotto rice
50g frozen peas
400ml chicken stock (substitute for veg stock if making vegetarian)
Half a leek (finely sliced)
1 shallot (finely sliced)
2 garlic cloves (finely sliced)
Zest and juice of half / one lemon – dependent on your preference (I like mine lemony so go for a whole lemon!)
Dash of white wine
Knob of butter
50g parmesan (grated)
Few mint leaves
- Start by bringing some stock to the boil and leaving to simmer. In a separate pan, gently heat some olive oil with a little butter and fry the garlic, shallot & leek for a few minutes until softened
- Then add in the risotto rice and fry for 2 minutes before adding the wine. Once the wine has reduced, add in the lemon zest, a couple of sliced mint leaves and a ladle of stock
- For the next 20 minutes or so, every time the rice absorbs the stock, stir and add in another ladle – until the rice has almost cooked through
- When the rice is almost cooked, stir in the frozen peas and leave for a few minute
- Remove from the heat and stir through the lemon juice, butter, parmesan and season
- Serve with another sprinkling of parmesan, drizzle of olive oil & mint leaves and enjoy!
ps. This recipe is great to add in any veggies that need using up – as you can see from the photo I also chucked in a few mushrooms with the peas but you could add peppers, asparagus, spinach etc. whatever you’ve got in your fridge that needs using up!